Thursday, April 11, 2013

Throwing Dinner Together...

This is the same frustrating conversation between my husband and I every afternoon: 
Me - "What do you want for dinner?"
Keith - "I don't care."
Me - "Really?"
Keith - "It's whatever you say." 
Me - "How about __________?" 
Keith - *sighs* "K" 

Really? Thanks for the help. 

And this is where I found myself yesterday at the end of my work day... contemplating for the billionth time what the heck I was going to cook for dinner. It had to be healthy and low-carb due to the current dieting situation. I started out by checking to see what I could do in the way of local food. No farmers markets today.... No road-side stands on my hour drive home... So here's what I figured out.... 

All produce coming from a farm in North Carolina has a green and yellow label that says "Got to be NC products." Food Lion, which I pass on my way home, claims to partner with local farms. Also, I checked which fruits and vegetables are currently in season in NC at http://www.ncagr.gov/markets/availabilitychart.pdf. Now I was ready to hit the grocery store and do the best I could to eat local in the middle of April at the end of an exceptionally cold winter (meaning the seasons will all be delayed). 

April in NC offers leafy greens, sweet potatoes and broccoli. Strawberries are supposed to be on their way, but the cold has held them off for a little longer. Unfortunately, the only thing I could find with an NC label on it was sweet potatoes... I had to settle for "Grown in the USA" broccoli, but because it is in season, maybe there's a better chance it's from somewhere close. One can only hope at this point. The lesson: Hit the farmers market when it's open and plan from there. You can't rely on grocery chains. Ever. 

I scoured the internet for recipes and this is what I came up with based on those veggies and the contents of my pantry/freezer:



Pan-Seared Ribeye

Does anyone have any seasonal April recipes to share?

*Angie*

No comments:

Post a Comment