Friday, April 5, 2013

Shame on Me...

Well, it's a good thing I don't blog for a living! I can't believe it's been this long and I still have the nerve to show my face on here again...

Can I be perfectly honest with you? I failed. Miserably. But only as far as the rules of the challenge are concerned. As for life in general, I feel like I've hit the jackpot! At my last post, many farmers market seasons ago, I had just gone through a divorce. I had "fallen off the bandwagon" as far as my challenge goes and though I had every intention of getting back on, life just had other plans for me. I got very busy with life stuff... I started working full time, met the love of my life (who happens to be a bodybuilder with a very specific diet), got married, gained a bonus-son (only 4 days older than my own), moved 45 minutes into the country and got pregnant with another boy due this July.

I went from being "The Hippest Housewife" to being "The Hippest Mom-to-2-Boys, Full-Time Teacher, Prom Coordinator, Dance Ensemble Director, Bodybuilding Wife and Pregnant Monster." Suddenly I find myself on the same boat as the readers who emailed me with worries of "I just don't think I have the time" or "I don't know if my family could do this." I'm right there with ya!

Here's the good news: This challenge was self-imposed. Aside from feeling like a total jerk/loser for failing in front of whatever smaller readership I have/had, there are no serious consequences for getting distracted. And there's nothing saying I can't modify the challenge into a realistic shift in lifestyle and try again. In fact, the changes I made in habits since I started this blog led me to lose 53 pounds before this pregnancy and they are helping me keep the baby weight gain within healthy limits. Yay! It wasn't an epic fail after all!

So here's my new situation:
*I've got two 4-year-old boys to feed, plus a baby on the way.
*As everyone knows, pregnancy comes with its own unique set of eating needs and challenges.
*My husband, Keith, requires a very strict diet for his bodybuilding (more on that later) and his protein needs are much higher than normal eaters.
*Our new life is in the country, further from farmers markets and impossibly far from whole foods type stores, but closer to the farms and farm stands themselves. In fact, the house we are currently trying to buy (fingers crossed) is so far out in the country, our neighbors are farms of various sizes and we would have plenty of land ourselves to plant a large garden.

Let's keep keepin' it real, shall we? I make no promises. I can only leave you with me sincere intentions to do better, to make what small difference I can, and to be honest about both my failures and my achievements.

Hope everyone is happy, healthy, and doing good things!
*Angie*

1 comment: